Senior Packaging Engineer – Northern NJ
Length of Assignment: 6 months
Rate range: $60 – $70 per hour
Start date: ASAP
While working under minimal oversight, develop innovative packaging across the portfolio of personal care products. Serve as the primary Packaging Engineer in support of Innovation projects including development of product concepts, proving out feasibility, and readying concepts for transfer into feasibility phase to maintain a pipeline of new product concepts to fill the EPC 3-year road map. Additionally, monitor progress against timelines and due dates, as well as provide guidance and coaching to those assigned on a project basis.
- Partner with Consumer Insights group (s) to develop and support the execution of strategic consumer learning plans in support of business objectives, including focus groups, including focus groups, ethnography, and product testing
- Communicate Concepts with consumer/professional groups
- Guide Discussion during product team meetings; communicate technical issues and details to the project team and management
- Co-ordinate the development efforts with outside component suppliers as well as contract manufactures both domestically and internationally
- Collaborate with other functional groups, Marketing, Operations, Product Development, Purchasing, Finance and Analytical
- Co-ordinate preparation of package prototypes for functional testing according to ASTM methods
- Develop and prepare package material specifications, assembly instructions and BOMs
- Maintain a common level of technical discipline to those assigned. Collaborate with peers in execution development of the objectives set by the department Director
- Attend Trade/Industry Shows mining for new product ideas
- Keep abreast of existing and new technologies that are applicable to areas of responsibility
- Manage IP (intellectual property) within area of responsibility
- Provide coaching and mentoring to those assigned by manager.
- Guide discussion during product team meetings, communicate technical issues and details to the project team and management.
- BS or MS in Mechanical, Package or Chemical Engineering, or equivalent degree.
- Minimum of 7 years of package development experience required, ideally with consumer products companies.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of primary packaging components and properties such as; aerosols, pumps, closures, bottles, tubes, flexible films and lamination, paperboard (folding cartons, cards, labels) plastic processing (injection and extrusion blow molding and cast and blown films
- Experience dealing with packaging component suppliers.
- Experience in running overall development of new packaging structures from concept to manufacturing)
- Experience with standard test methods as ASTM, GMPs OTC test and protocols.
- Must have good aesthetic “innovative” design skills.
- Must have the ability to develop innovative solution for new product ideas.
- Must have the ability to communicate product concepts utilizing Pro Engineer, sketches and verbal direction.
- Must be familiar with various manufacturing processes and mold types (e.g. injection molding, blow molding, assembly methods, decoration methods, mono and multilayer film processing knowledge a plus, etc.)
- Must have the ability to evaluate designs concepts to prove out feasibility.
- Must have the ability to manage third party relationships (e.g. outside design consultants, inventors, suppliers, etc.
- Familiar with CAD/CAM systems such as AutoCAD, Artios, Solid Works or ProE.
Project Management Skills:
• Must have the ability to prioritize and organize workload on multiple programs of low-to-medium complexity.
• Must have the ability to develop and implement schedules and ensure that engineering procedures are followed.
• Must have the ability to manage assigned projects, monitoring the status of all elements affecting the outcome of the program.
• Must have the ability to guide laboratory support personnel as required to accomplish a task.
• Must have the ability to clearly communicate technical and non-technical information via verbal presentation and in writing with management, team members and support personnel with normal supervision.
Please apply for this position below;